1. Such large, impersonal manipulation of capital and industry greatly increased the numbers and importance of shareholders as a class, an element in national life representing irresponsible wealth detached from the land and the duties of the landowners: and almost equally detached from the responsible management of business.
[参考译文] 这样巨大而非个人的对资金和产业的操纵极大地增加了股东的数量和他 们作为一个阶级的重要性，这是国家生活中代表不负责任的财富的一个 因素，这种财富不但远离了土地和土地拥有者的责任，而且几乎同样与 公司的负责任的管理毫无关系。
2. Towns like Bournemouth and Eastbourne sprang up to house large "comfortable" classes who had retired on their incomes, and who had no relation to the rest of the community except that of drawing dividends and occasionally attending a shareholders' meeting to dictate their orders to the management.
[参考译文] 像伯恩茅斯和伊斯特本这样的城镇的涌现是为了给那些数量很多的"舒适"阶级提供居住场所。这些人依赖于其丰厚收入而不工作，他们除了 分红和偶尔参加一下股东大会，向管理层口授一下自己的命令之外，跟社会的其他阶层毫无瓜葛。 3. The "shareholders" as such had no knowledge of the lives, thoughts or needs of the workmen employed by the company in which he held shares, and his influence on the relations of capital and labor was not good.
3. The paid manager acting for the company was in more direct relation with the men and their demands, but even he had seldom that familiar personal knowledge of the workmen which the employer had often had under the more patriarchal system of the old family business now passing away.
[参考译文] 代表公司的花钱雇来的经理与工人及其需求的关系更加直接，但是就连 他对工人们也没有那种熟识的私人之间的了解。而在现在正在消失的古 老家族公司的那种更加家长式的制度下的雇主们却常常对他们的工人有 这样的私人关系。
4. Among the many shaping factors, I would single out the country's excellent elementary schools: a labor force that welcomed the new technology; the practice of giving premiums to inventors; and above all the American genius for nonverbal, "spatial" thinking about things technological.
[参考译文] 在许多形成因素当中，我将挑选出这些：这个国家优秀的小学教育：欢 迎新技术的劳动者们：奖励发明者的做法;而且最重要的是美国人在对 那些技术性事物的非言语的、"空间性的"思考方面的天赋。
5. As Eugene Ferguson has pointed out, "A technologist thinks about objects that can not be reduced to unambiguous verbal descriptions: they are dealt with in his mind by a visual, nonverbal process...The designer and the inventor.., are able to assemble and manipulate in their minds devices that as yet do not exist".
[参考译文] 正如尤金·弗格森所指出的那样："一个技术专家思考那些不能被简化成 能被清楚的语言描述的东西。这些东西在他的思维中是通过一种视觉的、 非语言表述的过程宋处理的……设计者和发明者……能够在他们的脑中 装配并操作那些还不存在的装置。"
6. Robert Fulton once wrote, "The mechanic should sit down among levers, screws, wedges, wheel, etc, like a poet among the letters of the alphabet, considering them as an exhibition of his thoughts, in which a new arrangement transmits a new idea".
[参考译文] 罗伯特·法欧特曾经这样写到："一个技师会坐在杠杆、螺丝钉、楔子、 轮子等等当中，就像一个诗人沉浸在字母表的字母中，把这些字母看成 自己思想的展示，在这样的展示中，每种新的次序安排都传达了--种新 的思想。"
7. In the last three chapters, he takes off his gloves and gives the creationists a good beating. He describes their programs and, tactics, and, for those unfamiliar with the ways of creationists, the extent of their deception and distortion may come as an unpleasant surprise.
[参考译文] 在最后三章中，他脱下手套，将神造论者好好地揍了一顿。他描述了他 们的活动和战术，而且，对于那些对神造论者的做事方式刁;熟悉的人来 说，神造论者的欺骗和扭曲事实的程度可能会令这些人有一种不快的诧 异。
8. On the dust jacket of this fine book, Stephen Jay Gould says: "This book stands for reason itself." And so it does-and all wound be well were reason the only judge in the creationism/evolution debate.